Is Mold From Water Damage Harmful That musty smell is not just coming from nowhere. Usually when you have that musty odor around your house especially after youve experienced a water damage event it means that youve got mold. This article will answer the question is mold from water damage harmful. But lets first start with the basics. What is mold? What is mold? Mold is a microscopic organism that digests organic matter and reproduces by releasing spores. Molds are one of over 5000 types of fungi. In nature mold helps decompose leaves wood and other plant debris. The problem occurs when mold enters our home and begins digesting our walls floors etc. How does mold grow in my home? Mold enters your home as tiny spores and these tiny spores require moisture to grow. As they grow they digest your home and destroy it. Give them a nice place to live and you will have mold. Almost any surface will do: walls carpets ceiling tiles wallpaper sheet rock insulation and even paint! All that is required for mold to grow is a suitable environment. What is mold in your home other than an unwelcome guest! There is no way to keep all mold spores out of your home but you can control the growth of mold by keeping your home dry. In some areas this is rather difficult but with the right know-how it can be done. How are people exposed to molds? When molds are disturbed they release spores into the air. Often this occurs when people are cleaning up mold. The mold spores are released into the air and inhaled into the lungs. Many people report headaches and runny noses after just a little bit of exposure to mold spores. Contact with the skin is another way to be exposed to mold spores. This can happen through touching moldy items eating moldy food or incidental hand to mouth contact. Is exposure to mold dangerous? For healthy people mold is not harmful. However for people with asthma or who have allergies mold can pose a health threat. The reaction to mold may be eye irritation skin rash nasal congestion runny nose and difficulty breathing. For those with asthma the risks can be magnified. For some people mold spores can trigger an asthma attack. Certain molds produce toxins called mycotoxins. When people are exposed to high levels of mold mycotoxins they may experience headaches nausea fatigue and eye and lung irritation. If you suspect that your symptoms are caused by mold exposure you should see a physician. How to deal with mold after water damage? Weve described some techniques you could apply to remove mold in our article on how to deal with water damage. So check that article out for in-depth tips. Other than that the only advice we could give you is to seek assistance from a professional mold removal company in Portland. Professionals will come in with protective clothing decontamination equipment the right cleaning supplies and most importantly skills and proper techniques. When it comes to water damage Precise Water Damage Restoration of Portland can help you. If you have water damage Portland OR residents frequently struggle with especially during the rainy days call us and well help you remove the water. Having that said if you wish to learn more about how does water damage restoration work and is water damage covered by insurance in Portland feel free to check out our other posts on this blog! The post Is Mold From Water Damage Harmful appeared first on Water Damage Restoration Portland OR. via Water Damage Restoration Portland OR